Key Points
- Andy Burnham has indicated he will be giving Parliament a review of the early release scheme in two weeks.
- Justice minister Alex Norris is preparing measures to “maximise public safety and minimise the early release of prisoners.
- The Government will not rule out exempting a particular manslaughter from the scheme, but Mr Burnham refused to confirm that it would.
- The pressure focuses on the row over pressure to keep Pc Andrew Harper’s killers, Albert Bowers and Jessie Cole, from being let go early.
- Mr Burnham assured the rest of the department they would stop at nothing to prevent the pair going up for early release.
- Bowers and Cole would be “unlawful” to block, while others convicted of the same offence would be free to go, Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd, a former lord chief justice, warned.
- A change to the law on ‘unlawful act’ manslaughter could still be viable, Lord Thomas said.
- Bowers and Cole are scheduled for release in 2020, halfway through their 13-year prison terms.
- The Government would “present our findings in two weeks”, said the Prime Minister.
- It has been announced by the Ministry of Justice that it is “fast-tracking a plan to keep more of the most serious offenders behind bars.
Wolverhampton (Britain Today News) August 18, 2026 – Andy Burnham has confirmed he will present the findings of a review into the early release scheme to Parliament in two weeks, while declining to confirm whether the Government intends to exempt a particular category of manslaughter from the policy. Speaking during a visit to Wolverhampton bus station on Tuesday, Mr Burnham said Justice Secretary Alex Norris is drawing up plans to “maximise public safety and minimise the early release of prisoners,” as ministers face mounting pressure over the prospective early release of two of Pc Andrew Harper’s killers.
- Key Points
- What Has Andy Burnham Said About the Early Release Review?
- Why Is the Government Facing Pressure Over Pc Andrew Harper’s Killers?
- What Happened to Pc Andrew Harper in 2019?
- What Did Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd Say About the Proposed Exemption?
- Why Does Lord Thomas Believe the Three Types of Manslaughter Can Be Distinguished?
- Will Determining the Manslaughter Type Prove Difficult for Prison Staff?
- What Has the Prime Minister Said About Pc Harper’s Case?
- What Is the Ministry of Justice’s Response to the Criticism?
- What Happens Next in the Early Release Scheme Review?
The commitment comes amid growing public and political scrutiny of the early release scheme, with the Prime Minister facing repeated calls to intervene and prevent Albert Bowers and Jessie Cole — two of the three men convicted over the death of the police officer — from walking free ahead of schedule. Mr Burnham told reporters he would do “everything possible” to ensure the pair are not eligible for early release, though he stopped short of setting out precisely how that would be achieved.
What Has Andy Burnham Said About the Early Release Review?
Mr Burnham confirmed that a formal update on the scheme would be delivered once Parliament returns from recess in a fortnight. He said the Justice Secretary had been tasked with drawing up proposals designed to “maximise public safety and minimise the early release of prisoners,” but declined to go further when pressed on the detail of what those proposals might contain. Asked directly whether an exemption for a specific category of manslaughter was under consideration, Mr Burnham replied:
“At this moment in time, this is speculation, because I asked the Justice Secretary to develop a plan to maximise public safety and minimise the early release of prisoners.”
Why Is the Government Facing Pressure Over Pc Andrew Harper’s Killers?
The renewed political attention on the early release scheme stems directly from the case of Pc Andrew Harper, whose killers are among those who could benefit from the policy. The prospect that Bowers and Cole might be released next year, at the halfway point of their 13-year sentences, has triggered widespread condemnation from campaigners, opposition politicians and members of the public alike. The case has become emblematic of broader unease about how the early release scheme operates in practice, and ministers are now under sustained pressure to demonstrate that violent offenders convicted in connection with a police officer’s death will not be treated the same as lower-risk prisoners.
What Happened to Pc Andrew Harper in 2019?
Bowers and Cole were two of three men convicted over the death of Pc Harper, who died in Sulhamstead, Berkshire, in 2019 after becoming caught in a strap attached to a getaway vehicle. The men were fleeing the scene of a quad bike theft at the time, and Pc Harper was dragged along a country road as the car sped away. The case attracted significant national attention at the time of the original trial and has continued to generate public interest as questions over sentencing and early release have resurfaced.
Could Ministers Exempt Unlawful Act Manslaughter From Early Release?
Reports have suggested that ministers are considering exempting prisoners convicted of “unlawful act” manslaughter from the early release scheme, a move that would directly affect cases such as that of Bowers and Cole. However, Mr Burnham was careful not to confirm this when questioned, describing the reports as “speculation” while confirming that officials were actively working on options. The Government has not ruled the idea in or out, leaving the question open until the promised parliamentary update in a fortnight.
What Did Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd Say About the Proposed Exemption?
Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd, an independent crossbench peer who previously served as lord chief justice of England and Wales, cautioned that it would be “unlawful” to single out Bowers and Cole for exclusion from early release while other prisoners convicted of the same category of offence continued to benefit from the scheme. Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Lord Thomas nonetheless indicated that a rule change targeting the specific type of manslaughter involved could be practically workable, rather than one aimed solely at the individuals in this case.
Why Does Lord Thomas Believe the Three Types of Manslaughter Can Be Distinguished?
Setting out the legal background on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Lord Thomas explained:
“People are found guilty of manslaughter in three different circumstances. One, because they’ve been charged with murder and have a specific defence. Secondly, because they have committed a grossly negligent act that has resulted in death. And thirdly, involuntary manslaughter…, where there’s been an unlawful act such as a punch, someone’s fallen over, hit his head on the kerb, and died.”
He went on to identify precisely where Bowers and Cole’s case would sit within that framework, stating:
“That is the unlawful act manslaughter which they’re seeking to exempt. So it is quite possible to distinguish the three types of manslaughter.”
His remarks suggest that, from a legal standpoint, there is a coherent basis on which ministers could draw a line between categories of manslaughter conviction, even if doing so solely to target two named individuals would not be permissible.
Will Determining the Manslaughter Type Prove Difficult for Prison Staff?
Lord Thomas also addressed the practical challenge of implementing such a change within the prison system. He told the Today programme that “it may not be that straightforward” for prison staff to identify which type of manslaughter an individual inmate had been convicted of purely from their prison records. However, he added that it “should be relatively easy to tell that from the sentencing remarks, which are always transmitted with the prisoner’s record,” suggesting that the necessary information would in fact be readily available to those administering the scheme, even if it required a different point of reference than staff might typically use.
What Has the Prime Minister Said About Pc Harper’s Case?
The Prime Minister has faced direct questions on the matter and has sought to reassure the public that the Government is treating the issue with urgency. Speaking to reporters, he said:
“I’ve said I want to do everything possible to ensure we don’t see the release of people involved in the killing of Pc Harper and other individuals. I recognise that it’s very hard for his family. The anniversary of his death passed just at the weekend, so we understand that this is a difficult time.”
He continued:
“But it is important, given the public concern, that I do everything possible to get this right. That I do everything possible to minimise early release. That’s why we’re looking at every way I can do that, with the Justice Secretary, and we’ll present our findings in two weeks.”
The Prime Minister’s remarks confirm the same two-week timescale referenced by Mr Burnham, indicating a co-ordinated position across Government on when further detail will be made public.
Explore More about Politics:
Labour Urges Gambling Commission to Probe Reform-Linked Firms
Londonderry Bonfire Called ‘Reckless and Sectarian’ by Minister
What Is the Ministry of Justice’s Response to the Criticism?
A Ministry of Justice spokesperson issued a statement addressing the wider controversy surrounding the early release scheme. The spokesperson said:
“Public safety will always be our priority. We are fast-tracking a plan to keep more of the most serious offenders behind bars, on top of murderers, anyone on life sentences and those in prison for rape, serious child sexual abuse and grooming offences who are already blocked from any changes.”
The spokesperson added:
“We share the public’s anger that these options are even being considered, after we inherited a prison system on the brink of collapse. We are fixing this by building 14,000 new prison places, expanding electronic tagging on an unprecedented scale, and investing in probation services at record levels.”
The statement also pointed to further measures under consideration, noting:
“We are also exploring how we can go further, including faster deportation of foreign criminals, better use of the women’s estate and reviewing the unjust IPP (indeterminate sentence of imprisonment for public protection) sentences.”
How Did the Early Release Scheme Review Come About?
Mr Burnham ordered a review of the early release scheme under the Sentencing Act shortly after taking office. That review has already produced some changes, including measures announced to prevent rapists and paedophiles from being released early. However, those earlier changes did not extend to cover cases such as Pc Harper’s killers, which is why the current row has continued to escalate and why ministers are now examining further, more targeted adjustments to the scheme.
What Happens Next in the Early Release Scheme Review?
With Parliament due to return in a fortnight, all sides now expect a formal update on the Government’s intentions. Mr Burnham has committed to presenting the review’s findings at that point, while the Prime Minister has echoed the same timetable. Until then, ministers are declining to confirm the specific details of any manslaughter exemption, with officials continuing to develop options aimed at satisfying both public safety concerns and the legal constraints highlighted by Lord Thomas. The coming fortnight is therefore likely to prove decisive in determining whether Bowers and Cole, along with other prisoners convicted of unlawful act manslaughter, will be excluded from early release under the revised scheme.
The case has placed the Government’s broader justice reforms under intense scrutiny, testing the balance between reducing pressure on an overstretched prison estate and maintaining public confidence in sentencing. How ministers resolve the legal questions raised by Lord Thomas, while responding to the political pressure generated by Pc Harper’s case, is expected to shape the next phase of the Sentencing Act review when Parliament reconvenes.
