Cromer Carnival Cancels Fireworks as Red Arrows Display Continues

News Desk
Cromer Fireworks Cancelled as Red Arrows Fly
Credit: AOL/BBC

Key Points

  • Cromer Carnival has cancelled its Thursday fireworks display as organisers state it would not be safe with abnormally dry weather and a government wildfire warning.
  • The Red Arrows will still be flying over Cromer at 12:30 BST on Wednesday.
  • The RAF aerobatic team headed back to the UK on Sunday, after being held up by bad weather in Canada.
  • The organisers of the carnival stated that they had been keeping an eye on the weather and ground conditions before deciding to cancel the pyrotechnic show.
  • The Cromer Carnival Trust insisted safety is the first priority, but added that such a decision was not rash and an attempt to avoid risk.
  • The UK Government released an alert to residents of England and Wales to beware of fireworks, barbecues, firepits and any other activity that could start a fire.
  • The alert was triggered after numerous serious fires – especially one in Stourbridge where 19 houses were burned and 18 houses were damaged.
  • Prime Minister Andy Burnham advised people to “take the wildfire warning seriously.
  • Cromer Carnival attracts many thousands of visitors to North Norfolk every August and has been held since 1969.
  • Organisers claimed they weren’t notified the Red Arrows display was cancelled.

Cromer (Britain Today News) August 17, 2026: Cromer Carnival organisers have withdrawn Thursday’s fireworks display after concluding that the pyrotechnic event could not be staged safely during a period of prolonged dry weather and heightened fire risk.

As reported by the BBC in its report,

“No fireworks at carnival but Red Arrows on their way”.

The carnival organisers said they had been monitoring the weather and ground conditions before the latest government guidance was issued.

They had hoped that rainfall would improve the situation, but the continuing dry conditions meant the planned display could no longer be regarded as appropriate.

The organisers said:

“This was never a case of being reckless or ignoring the risks.”

The decision means that one of the carnival’s traditional evening attractions will not take place. However, the organisers said the cancellation was made to protect visitors, residents, staff and emergency responders.

What did the Cromer Carnival Trust say?

The Cromer Carnival Trust said it was disappointed that the fireworks could not proceed, but insisted that cancelling them was the responsible decision under the circumstances.

In a statement published on its website, the trust said:

“We are disappointed that the fireworks cannot go ahead, but we are confident that cancelling them is the right decision in the circumstances. Safety has to come first.”

The statement reflected the wider public-safety concerns raised by fire services and the UK Government after a series of serious wildfires.

The carnival trust’s decision also came after officials warned that even a small flame could spread rapidly across dry grassland, woodland and other vulnerable areas.

The organisers had been assessing the situation before the national alert, suggesting that the decision was not made solely in response to public pressure. Instead, weather conditions, ground dryness and official guidance were considered together.

Will the Red Arrows still perform at Cromer Carnival?

The Red Arrows are still scheduled to perform over Cromer at 12:30 BST on Wednesday, according to the carnival organisers and BBC reporting.

The RAF aerobatic team’s display is expected to provide a major attraction for visitors, despite the cancellation of the fireworks.

Cromer Carnival organisers said on social media on Monday:

“At present, their [Red Arrows] scheduled display for Cromer Carnival is still going ahead, and we have received no notification to say otherwise.”

The wording leaves open the possibility that circumstances could change, but organisers said they had not received any notification from the team that the performance would be withdrawn.

The Red Arrows’ planned display is separate from the cancelled fireworks show. The fireworks involved a ground-based ignition risk, while the aerobatic team’s performance is an aviation display subject to its own operational, safety and weather assessments.

When are the Red Arrows expected to appear?

The Red Arrows are expected to entertain Cromer crowds at approximately 12:30 BST on Wednesday.

The display will feature the team’s well-known aerial manoeuvres over the Norfolk coast, subject to operational and weather conditions.

The team returned to the UK on Sunday after being delayed in Canada by poor weather. The Red Arrows had been travelling back from North America after taking part in events linked to the United States’ 250th anniversary celebrations.

According to the BBC, the team made its journey through Greenland and Iceland before arriving back in the UK. The Red Arrows later announced on social media that they had reached RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire.

Their return has allowed the team to resume its summer programme, although several earlier UK appearances were affected by the delay.

Why were the Red Arrows delayed in Canada?

The Red Arrows became stranded in Canada after poor weather affected their planned return journey from North America.

The team’s aircraft cannot refuel while airborne, meaning the journey requires carefully planned stops and suitable weather conditions along the route.

The delay forced the team to miss several scheduled summer appearances in the UK, including performances connected with events in Eastbourne, Edinburgh and Lyme Regis.

As reported by the BBC in its coverage of the team’s return, the aircraft travelled through Greenland and Iceland before landing in the UK. The team then completed the final stage of its journey to RAF Waddington.

The Red Arrows had travelled to the United States to entertain audiences during celebrations marking 250 years of modern America.

Their scheduled Cromer appearance is therefore expected to be one of the team’s first UK displays after returning from the North American tour.

What did the Government’s emergency alert say?

The UK Government issued an emergency alert to people in England and Wales at 19:01 BST on Friday 14 August 2026.

The official GOV.UK alert said there was “a very high risk of wildfires nationally”.

Residents, landowners and visitors were instructed not to undertake activities that could start a fire. The warning specifically referred to disposable barbecues, firepits, garden incinerators and fireworks.

The alert stated:

“Even a small flame can rapidly develop into a major wildfire placing lives, homes, businesses and emergency responders at risk.”

The Government also advised people to follow official updates and report signs of fire immediately by calling 999. The alert was sent to England and Wales, although surrounding areas might also have received it.

The warning provided the immediate national context for Cromer Carnival’s decision to cancel its fireworks.

What fires led to the national warning?

The emergency alert followed multiple serious fires after a period of very hot and dry weather across parts of England and Wales.

The most serious incident referenced in the reporting was a major fire in Stourbridge, in the West Midlands. The blaze spread rapidly through grass and woodland before reaching residential areas.

The BBC reported that 19 homes were destroyed and a further 18 were damaged in the Stourbridge fire. The incident caused evacuations, extensive disruption and serious concern among residents and emergency services.

West Midlands Fire Service chief fire officer Simon Tuhill described the blaze as one of the most significant incidents the service had ever dealt with, according to the BBC.

The fire was one of several incidents being managed during the same period. Fires were also reported in Wales, Hampshire, Norfolk, Birmingham, Stoke-on-Trent and Willenhall.

In Wales, a major incident was declared near Llandovery in Carmarthenshire, where homes were evacuated and roads were closed. In Hampshire, firefighters continued tackling a wildfire in the New Forest.

Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service dealt with 16 emergencies on Thursday afternoon, including a fire at Mousehold Heath, off Gurney Road in Norwich.

What did Andy Burnham say about the fire risk?

Prime Minister Andy Burnham urged members of the public to take the Government’s wildfire warning seriously.

Burnham said the alert had been triggered at the request of firefighters. He also described the country as a “tinderbox” and warned that the following weekend could be difficult.

Burnham’s comments came after emergency services faced several serious fires in different parts of England and Wales.

The Government also announced a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues. Officials said disposable barbecues had been responsible for serious fires during the summer.

The Government alert did not target only barbecues. It warned against any activity that could create a flame or spark, including fireworks and firepits.

That guidance directly affected Cromer Carnival, where organisers concluded that the fireworks display would not be suitable in the prevailing conditions.

What has the carnival chairman said?

Cromer Carnival chairman Tony Shipp told the BBC that the prolonged dry weather and Government guidance meant the fireworks display would not have been appropriate.

His comments underlined that the decision was based on safety rather than the cancellation of the wider carnival programme.

The carnival continues to attract many thousands of visitors to the North Norfolk resort every August. It has been held since 1969 and is an established event in the local calendar.

A fireworks display is traditionally one of the most visible elements of a seaside carnival, but the organisers judged that protecting people and property was more important this year.

The carnival’s statement also sought to reassure visitors that the decision was not made carelessly. Organisers said they had monitored conditions and hoped that rainfall would improve the situation before deciding that the display should be cancelled.

How important is Cromer Carnival to North Norfolk?

Cromer Carnival is a long-running annual event that brings many thousands of visitors to the North Norfolk resort each August.

The carnival has been held since 1969 and is an important part of Cromer’s summer programme. Its events attract local residents, tourists and families visiting the Norfolk coast.

The cancellation of the fireworks is likely to disappoint spectators who had planned to attend the evening event. However, the continuation of the Red Arrows display means that the carnival retains a major headline attraction.

The decision also demonstrates the effect that extreme weather and wildfire conditions can have on outdoor public events.

Organisers across the country have faced increasing pressure to assess whether events involving flames, fireworks or large crowds can proceed safely during periods of heat and drought.

When did the Red Arrows last perform in Norfolk?

The RAF aerobatic team last performed over the Norfolk coast in 2025, according to the BBC.

The return to Cromer is expected to be closely watched because the team’s earlier travel disruption led to cancellations at other events.

The Red Arrows previously performed at Cromer Carnival in 2022, while their 2025 appearance was the most recent display over the Norfolk coast.

The team is known for its precision formations, high-speed passes and coloured smoke trails. Its displays are staged under strict operational requirements and remain dependent on suitable weather and aviation conditions.

The team’s spokesperson has been contacted for further comment on the Cromer display, but no additional statement had been reported at the time of publication.

Could the Red Arrows display still be cancelled?

The Red Arrows display remains scheduled, but organisers have not described it as unconditional.

Cromer Carnival officials said they had received no notification that the performance would not go ahead. This means the display was still planned as of Monday, but any aviation event can be affected by operational issues, weather or safety considerations.

The team had only recently completed its return to the UK after being delayed in Canada. It had arrived at RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire, where the Red Arrows confirmed that the journey home had been completed.

The separate cancellation of the fireworks should not automatically be interpreted as a cancellation of the air display. The two events carry different risk profiles and are managed under different safety arrangements.

Visitors should check official Cromer Carnival and Red Arrows updates before travelling, particularly because the programme could change if conditions deteriorate.
Explore More about UK:
Changes To Two Trentbarton Bus Routes In Nottinghamshire And Derbyshire
Heathrow Airport Roads Reopen After Main Burst Flooding

What should visitors expect at the carnival?

Visitors can expect the carnival to continue, with the Red Arrows currently scheduled to perform at 12:30 BST on Wednesday.

The fireworks planned for Thursday will not take place. The cancellation means visitors should not bring fireworks, firepits, disposable barbecues or any other ignition source to the event or surrounding areas.

The Government has warned that people should not undertake activities capable of starting a fire while the national wildfire risk remains very high.

The official guidance says anyone who sees signs of a fire should report it immediately by calling 999.

The carnival organisers’ message is that public safety must take priority, while the event’s daytime and aerial attractions continue where it is safe to do so.

Visitors should follow instructions from event staff, emergency services and local authorities throughout the carnival.

What is the latest position on the event?

The latest position is that Cromer Carnival’s fireworks have been cancelled, while the Red Arrows display remains scheduled for 12:30 BST on Wednesday.

The cancellation follows the Government’s national emergency alert warning of a very high wildfire risk across England and Wales. It also follows serious fires, including the Stourbridge incident in which 19 homes were destroyed and 18 were damaged.

Cromer Carnival organisers said their decision was based on prolonged dry weather, ground conditions and official advice. They expressed disappointment but said cancelling the fireworks was the right decision.

The Red Arrows returned to the UK on Sunday after poor weather delayed their journey from Canada. The team has since arrived at RAF Waddington and is expected to entertain Cromer crowds, subject to final operational and weather assessments.