MAFS UK pulled from Channel 4 following ‘very serious’ allegations of sexual assault 2026

News Desk
MAFS UK pulled after sexual assault claims 2026
Credit: BBC/BTN

Key Points

  • Channel 4 has removed all seasons of Married at First Sight UK from its streaming and linear services following “very serious” allegations of sexual assault.
  • The broadcaster says the decision relates to allegations involving a small number of past contributors, some of which have been denied by those named.
  • Two women on the reality series have claimed they were raped by their on‑screen “husbands” during filming, according to a BBC investigation.
  • A third woman has alleged a non‑consensual sex act occurred while filming for the Channel 4 series.
  • All 10 seasons of the show, which aired between 2015 and last year, are now unavailable on Channel 4’s platforms.
  • Channel 4 has commissioned an external review into contributor welfare on Married at First Sight UK, which began in April 2026.
  • In a Channel 4 press release, Chief Executive Priya Dogra said concerns about contributor welfare had been acted on “quickly and appropriately” at the time, but that a fresh look was necessary to ensure the highest welfare standards.

London (Britain Today News) – May 18, 2026 – Channel 4 has taken the unprecedented step of removing all past seasons of Married at First Sight UK from its streaming and on‑air platforms following what it has described as “very serious” allegations of sexual assault involving former participants.

The move comes as the BBC airs a Panorama investigation into claims that two women were raped by their on‑screen “husbands” during production of the Channel 4 reality series, with a third woman alleging a non‑consensual sex act while filming. As reported by the BBC and confirmed in Channel 4’s own statement, the broadcaster stresses that the allegations relate to a limited number of past contributors, some of whom have denied wrongdoing.

Channel 4 has also announced that an external, independent review of contributor welfare on Married at First Sight UK is now underway, ordered by the channel’s new chief executive Priya Dogra in April 2026. The broadcaster has framed the de‑platforming of the show’s back catalogue as a protective measure during the ongoing review and in light of its continuing duty of care to past and present contributors.

What are the core allegations?

According to the BBC’s coverage ahead of the Panorama special, two women who appeared on Married at First Sight UK have alleged they were raped by their assigned partners during filming. The programme, which began in 2015 and wrapped its tenth season in late 2025, positions itself as a “social experiment” in which experts match strangers who then marry on camera.

One of the women told Panorama that her on‑screen husband raped her and threatened her with an acid attack, a claim that has intensified scrutiny of the show’s duty‑of‑care protocols. The BBC also reports that the same programme includes a third woman’s account of a non‑consensual sex act while filming for the Channel 4 series.

Channel 4 has not disclosed the identities of those involved, citing a duty of care and the need to avoid speculation or identification of individuals pending the external review. The broadcaster has acknowledged that some of the accused have denied the allegations, but has not provided further detail on the specific incidents or legal status of those cases.
Explore More about Entertainment:
Delta Goodrem sends Australia into Eurovision final in Vienna 2026
Van Morrison’s British Airways ARC Residency Kicks Off London 2026

Why has Channel 4 pulled MAFS UK?

The broadcaster has stated that all previous seasons of Married at First Sight UK have been withdrawn from Channel 4’s streaming service, linear channels, and social media platforms “in light of serious allegations of misconduct” against a small number of former participants. Channel 4 says the decision is temporary and is intended to allow the external review to proceed without potential reputational harm or undue pressure on contributors.

In its official press release, as reported by Channel 4’s own communications team, the broadcaster explains that the external review was triggered by

“serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors,”

which

“we understand those contributors have denied.”

The statement adds that Channel 4 is

“mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.”

Priya Dogra, Chief Executive of Channel 4, is quoted in the press release as saying that concerns about contributor welfare are taken extremely seriously. Dogra stated:

“On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.”

How is Channel 4 framing its duty of care?

The central thrust of Channel 4’s public response is that it believes its welfare protocols were followed correctly when earlier concerns were raised, but that a fresh review is necessary to ensure the highest possible standards. The broadcaster explicitly notes that the external review is asking whether any changes should be made to “further strengthen contributor welfare” on Married at First Sight UK and on Channel 4’s other reality formats.

In the same statement, as quoted by Channel 4’s press office, Dogra says she

“felt strongly as Channel 4’s new CEO that it was right that we look again at how we handled issues raised at the time.”

This suggests that, while Channel 4 does not admit to systemic failures, it is nonetheless treating the current allegations as a catalyst for a broader reassessment of its safeguarding practices.

What impact does this have on the show’s history?

Married at First Sight UK has run for 10 seasons since its 2015 launch and has been a flagship reality title for Channel 4, combining romance, therapy‑style advice, and high‑drama weddings and conflicts. The fact that all completed seasons have now been removed from Channel 4’s platforms marks a rare retreat for the broadcaster, which has historically defended its reality formats even amid previous controversies.

As detailed in Channel 4’s own coverage of the situation, the network has described the show as a “bold, social experiment” in which experts match singletons and then produce footage of their weddings, honeymoons, and evolving relationships. The current crisis, however, has shifted the focus from the show’s entertainment value to questions about consent, power dynamics, and the effectiveness of on‑set mental‑health and safeguarding support.

How are contributors and viewers reacting?

The BBC’s coverage indicates that at least some former participants feel that the environment on set left them vulnerable, though the full range of responses has not been publicly detailed. Channel 4 has not released any statements from the women who made the allegations, emphasising that it must respect their privacy and ongoing legal processes.

Viewer and industry reaction, as reported by outlets summarising the issue, has been sharply divided. Some commentators warn that the allegations could fundamentally undermine trust in the show’s premise, while others argue that any individual misconduct must not be conflated with the format as a whole.

For Channel 4, the decision to remove the show’s entire catalogue sends a strong signal that the broadcaster is prioritising contributor welfare and reputational risk over immediate commercial value. Whether Married at First Sight UK will return to screens in any form will likely depend on the outcome of the external review and the way the broadcaster addresses the claims raised in the BBC’s Panorama investigation.