Key Points
- Ofcom will update its codes of practice to force social media, messaging platforms and online forums to detect and prevent intimate image abuse, including “revenge porn” and AI-generated deepfakes.
- The regulator cites an increase in intimate image abuse and warns that generative AI has worsened the problem, following waves of deepfakes produced with tools such as Grok AI.
- Ofcom urges use of hash-matching technology and automated detection to stop circulation of non-consensual images and videos.
- Campaign group End Violence Against Women and Girls threatened legal action, saying Ofcom had failed to protect women and girls; the new code follows that challenge.
- Technology Secretary Liz Kendall called for existing technology to be used to permanently block intimate image abuse, describing the situation as a “never-ending nightmare” for victims.
- Keir Starmer previously demanded removal of deepfake nudes and revenge porn within 48 hours or risk of platforms being blocked in the UK.
- Ofcom says the new code will come into force in the autumn, subject to parliamentary process.
- Campaigners welcome the move but say the regulator should mandate stronger technical measures to prevent posting in the first place.
- Special concern is raised about niche forums where intimate images are traded and women are grouped by location, increasing safety risks.
- The guidelines will classify intimate images to include nudity, sexual acts, exposed genitals, buttocks or breasts covered only by underwear, and images of people going to the toilet.
London (Britain Today News) May 18, 2026 — Ofcom will amend its statutory codes of practice to require online platforms to detect and block intimate image abuse, including “revenge porn” and AI‑generated deepfakes, after warning that the rapid growth of generative artificial intelligence has made the problem both more prevalent and harder to control.
- Key Points
- What changes will Ofcom make to the codes of practice?
- Why has Ofcom acted now?
- Who has pressured Ofcom to act and what legal steps were threatened?
- How will the new rules work in practice?
- Will the new code criminalise content or block entire services?
- What do campaigners and victims say about the proposals?
- Are platforms prepared to implement the technology Ofcom recommends?
- When will the new code come into force?
- What are the remaining gaps and next steps?
What changes will Ofcom make to the codes of practice?
Ofcom said the updated codes will place a duty on social media services, messaging platforms and online forums that publish intimate image abuse to deploy technical measures to identify and remove images and videos shared without consent. The regulator specifically recommends the adoption of hash‑matching technology that recognises previously identified intimate images and prevents them from being re‑uploaded and re‑circulated.
The regulator argued that
“there is an urgent need to reduce the spread of intimate image abuse online”
and that platforms must do more to detect and quash material that is often intended to humiliate women and girls.
Why has Ofcom acted now?
Ofcom’s intervention follows mounting concern from campaigners and politicians about the spread of intimate image abuse and the rise of AI tools that can generate realistic sexualised deepfake material. A notable wave of deepfakes in January used Elon Musk’s Grok AI to create sexualised videos of women in bikinis, highlighting how generative systems can be misused at scale.
Labour leader Keir Starmer told the press in February that deepfake nudes and “revenge porn” must be removed from the internet within 48 hours or else technology firms could be blocked in the UK, calling the situation a “national emergency” the government must confront.
Who has pressured Ofcom to act and what legal steps were threatened?
The campaign group End Violence Against Women and Girls threatened a judicial review of Ofcom, arguing the regulator was
“failing to tackle these sites and failing in its obligations to protect women and girls.”
As reported by (Campaign Legal Team) for End Violence Against Women and Girls, lawyers said the regulator had not done enough to curb niche forums where intimate images are traded and where victims are grouped by location, such as villages or university halls of residence.
Ofcom’s announcement is presented as a direct response to that legal pressure and to growing public outcry over the harms caused by non‑consensual images and AI‑created intimate content.
How will the new rules work in practice?
The practical centrepiece of the updated code is a push for automated detection and blocking. Ofcom is urging platforms to use hash‑matching, a technique that creates a unique digital fingerprint for an image or clip and prevents identical or near‑identical copies from being reuploaded. The regulator also encourages other forms of automated screening that can identify AI‑generated deepfakes and images that meet the legal definition of intimate image abuse.
Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said on Monday:
“Existing technology must now be used to put a permanent stop to intimate image abuse, by recognising illegal images and blocking them before they can cause further harm. No more excuses.”
The secretary’s statement framed the use of technology as an immediate obligation, not merely best practice.
Will the new code criminalise content or block entire services?
The updated code targets platforms’ responsibilities rather than changing criminal law. However, ministers and opposition figures have signalled tougher enforcement options for firms that fail to comply. Keir Starmer’s earlier warning that firms could be blocked from operating in the UK if they did not remove revenge porn and deepfakes within 48 hours remains a political lever.
Ofcom stops short of saying it will itself block services; instead, the regulator will require clear remediation steps and may advise the government on escalation where platforms repeatedly fail to meet standards.
What do campaigners and victims say about the proposals?
Campaigners welcomed Ofcom’s move while pressing for stronger obligations. As reported by (Emma Roberts) of End Violence Against Women and Girls, campaigners said:
“This is an important step, but we need legally binding requirements that mandate proactive technical measures to stop images being posted in the first place.”
Survivors and support groups have long argued that takedown alone is insufficient because images spread rapidly and can resurface on niche sites that evade mainstream moderation. The grouping of victims by location on such forums raises acute safety and reputational risks, campaigners say.
Are platforms prepared to implement the technology Ofcom recommends?
Not all services have the same technical capacity or resources. Large global platforms already use hash‑matching and automated enforcement for child sexual abuse material and terror content, but smaller forums and encrypted messaging services face more difficult choices over privacy, encryption and resource constraints.
Ofcom’s guidance acknowledges these complexities and suggests a risk‑based approach, but critics argue that a mere advisory framework will not be enough without explicit mandates and funding or third‑party support to help smaller services comply.
Explore More about Technology:
Gov.uk Chat in Gov.uk App Revolutionises Access to Services 2026
Starmer adviser Varun Chandra held private talks with US tech firms in AI and regulation row 2026
When will the new code come into force?
Ofcom said the code is expected to come into force in the autumn of 2026, subject to parliamentary procedure. The regulator must complete the statutory consultation and lay the amended codes before Parliament, giving MPs the chance to scrutinise the changes.
If Parliament approves, platforms will have a defined period to implement the new technical measures and reporting requirements that Ofcom will monitor.
What are the remaining gaps and next steps?
Campaigners want Ofcom to go further by mandating specific technologies and tighter deadlines for removal and prevention. There are also questions about how to balance detection with privacy, particularly on encrypted messaging services where end‑to‑end encryption can make automated scanning technically and legally challenging.
Legal and technical experts say the next phase must include clear rules on how platforms can apply automated detection without compromising legitimate privacy, how to audit and verify detection systems for bias and accuracy, and how to support victims with notification and redress.
Will this reduce harm for women and girls?
Ofcom argues the updated code will reduce the prevalence and circulation of intimate image abuse and give victims more effective recourse. But campaigners caution that enforcement and rapid deployment are crucial; without swift, proportional action by regulators and platforms, many victims will continue to face ongoing harassment and safety risks.
As reported by (Liz Kendall) in her ministerial statement, the government and regulator frame the problem as urgent and solvable, provided technology is used responsibly and platforms take swift action.
Ofcom’s step marks a significant regulatory tightening on digital harms. If properly enforced, the new code could curb the worst excesses of non‑consensual image sharing and the misuse of generative AI. Yet the devil will be in the detail: the technical standards set, the thresholds for enforcement, and the support given to smaller services to comply will determine whether victims see real, sustained improvements.
