British Athletics Coach Leon Baptiste Jailed In Morocco Over Minor Assault

News Desk
British Athletics Coach Leon Baptiste Jailed In Morocco
Credit: Sports for Champions/The Leaflet

Key Points

  • British athletics coach and former Commonwealth Games champion Leon Baptiste has been sentenced to eight months in prison in Morocco for sexually assaulting a minor.
  • The source at the Ministry of Justice in Morocco told BBC Sport that he was arrested in May in Marrakech and is currently being detained in Al-Oudaya prison.
  • Baptiste was originally sentenced to ten months, and eight months on appeal.
  • According to the Ministry of Justice, Baptiste had not been lost, but is in good health.
  • A Briton is being detained in Marrakech as a result of a court ruling in a criminal case, according to the country’s Public Prosecution Office, which declined to elaborate.
  • In Morocco, the age of a minor is 18.
  • The Foreign Office in the UK has stated that it is helping to support Baptiste and is in touch with the Moroccan authorities.
  • Baptiste soon won the 200m event at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, and then went on to serve as a sprint consultant at UK Athletics, training some high-profile British sprinters.
  • He had been withdrawn from training over three months ago when he was working with athletes for this year’s Commonwealth Games and the European Championships.
  • Without him, some athletes were impacted, such as Olympic bronze medallist Charlie Dobson and Paralympian silver medallist Zac Shaw, who were replaced by other coaches with additional coaching support before Baptiste stepped down this week.

Marrakech (Britain Today News) August 19, 2026 — British athletics coach and former Commonwealth Games champion Leon Baptiste is serving an eight-month prison sentence in Morocco after being convicted of sexually assaulting a minor, according to Moroccan authorities and court records cited by BBC Sport. Baptiste, 41, was arrested in Marrakech in May and is being held at the Al-Oudaya prison, a source at Morocco’s Ministry of Justice told BBC Sport. He was initially sentenced to ten months, but the term was reduced to eight on appeal, the source said. The case has sent shockwaves through British athletics circles, given Baptiste’s standing as a former international sprinter and his subsequent role coaching some of the country’s leading track athletes.

Who Is Leon Baptiste And What Has He Been Convicted Of?

Leon Baptiste is a 41-year-old British athletics coach who built his reputation first as a sprinter and later as a trusted figure in British track and field coaching circles. According to Moroccan court records and a Ministry of Justice source who spoke to BBC Sport, Baptiste has been convicted in Morocco of sexually assaulting a minor. Under Moroccan law, as referenced by BBC Sport, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. The conviction has resulted in a custodial sentence that Baptiste is currently serving in Marrakech.

When And Where Was Leon Baptiste Arrested?

Baptiste was arrested in Marrakech in May, according to the Ministry of Justice source cited by BBC Sport. Marrakech, one of Morocco’s most visited cities, is where he has since remained in custody. The timing of the arrest coincided with a period in which Baptiste was working with British athletes preparing for major summer competitions, a factor that has drawn particular attention to the case within domestic athletics circles.

What Sentence Is Leon Baptiste Serving And Was It Reduced?

Baptiste was initially sentenced to ten months in prison. However, the Ministry of Justice source told BBC Sport that this term was reduced to eight months following an appeal. He is now serving that reduced eight-month sentence at Al-Oudaya prison in Marrakech. No further details of the appeal process have been made public by Moroccan authorities.

Where Is Leon Baptiste Being Held In Morocco?

According to the source at Morocco’s Ministry of Justice, Baptiste is being held at Al-Oudaya prison in Marrakech. This detail was provided directly to BBC Sport as part of the Ministry’s response to questions surrounding his whereabouts and well-being.

Did Moroccan Authorities Deny Reports That Baptiste Had Disappeared?

Yes. The Ministry of Justice specifically rejected reports suggesting that Baptiste had disappeared. A Ministry source told BBC Sport that his whereabouts were known throughout and that he was in good health. This statement appears to have been issued in direct response to speculation that had circulated regarding his absence and lack of public communication over recent months.

What Has Morocco’s Public Prosecution Office Said About The Case?

Morocco’s Public Prosecution Office has also addressed the matter, confirming that a British national was being held in Marrakech following a judgment in a criminal case. However, the Public Prosecution Office provided no further details beyond this confirmation, leaving many specifics of the case undisclosed to the public.

How Does Moroccan Law Define A Minor In This Case?

Under Moroccan law, as noted in reporting by BBC Sport, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 18. This legal definition is central to understanding the nature of the charge for which Baptiste has been convicted and sentenced.

What Has The UK Foreign Office Said About Leon Baptiste’s Detention?

The UK Foreign Office confirmed that it is assisting Baptiste while he remains in Moroccan custody. As reported by BBC Sport, a Foreign Office spokesperson said:

“We are supporting a British national who is detained in Morocco and are in contact with the authorities.”

The statement confirms that consular assistance is being provided, though the Foreign Office has not commented further on the specifics of the case, in line with its usual practice regarding individual consular matters.

What Was Leon Baptiste’s Athletics Career Before Coaching?

Before moving into coaching, Baptiste enjoyed a decorated career as a sprinter. He won the 200 metres title at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, an achievement that established him as one of Britain’s leading sprinters of his generation. Following his competitive career, Baptiste transitioned into coaching, going on to work with several prominent British sprinters. He also held a role as a sprint consultant for UK Athletics, the national governing body for the sport, placing him in a position of considerable trust and influence within the British athletics setup.

Why Did Leon Baptiste Stop Attending Training Sessions?

According to BBC Sport, Baptiste stopped attending training sessions more than three months before the news of his conviction emerged, at a time when he was working with athletes preparing for this year’s Commonwealth Games and European Championships. In May, he told the athletes he was coaching that he would be away “for a while”, without providing further details about the reason for his absence or when he might return. This vague explanation left athletes and colleagues without clarity for several months.

How Did Leon Baptiste’s Absence Affect The Athletes He Coached?

Baptiste’s sudden and unexplained absence had a direct impact on the athletes under his guidance. Those affected include Olympic bronze medallist Charlie Dobson and Paralympic silver medallist Zac Shaw, both of whom were left without their regular coach during a critical period of preparation for major competitions. In response, fellow athletics figures Adam Gemili and Martyn Rooney subsequently stepped in to provide additional coaching support, helping to fill the gap left by Baptiste’s departure from training.
Explore More about Sports:
Jordan Cox Turns to Virat Kohli for Advice Ahead of England Test Role
Man Utd will block late Bruno Fernandes bids in transfer window

Has Leon Baptiste Resigned From His Coaching Role?

Yes. An email sent on Baptiste’s behalf on Tuesday announced his resignation from his coaching position, citing unspecified health reasons. The email did not make any reference to his conviction or detention in Morocco, and no further explanation has been provided publicly regarding the circumstances behind the resignation announcement, according to BBC Sport.

What Happens Next In Leon Baptiste’s Case?

As it stands, Baptiste continues to serve his eight-month sentence at Al-Oudaya prison in Marrakech, with Moroccan authorities maintaining that his welfare and location are accounted for. The UK Foreign Office has indicated it remains in contact with Moroccan authorities and is continuing to support Baptiste as a British national detained abroad. No further updates on his release date, appeal status beyond the confirmed sentence reduction, or any subsequent legal proceedings have been made public at this time.