Man Utd will block late Bruno Fernandes bids in transfer window

News Desk
Man Utd block Bruno Fernandes bids amid Galatasaray interest
Credit: IMAGO/Wikipedia

Key points

  • Manchester United won’t accept a late bid for captain Bruno Fernandes ahead of the transfer deadline.
  • Galatasaray are said to be interested in an offer of up to €50 million, or nearly £42.7 million, for the 23-year-old.
  • Juventus and AC Milan have also been in talks for the Portugal international.
  • United has confirmed that Fernandes is not for sale, no matter what the price is.
  • At 31 years old, he is in the final year of his contract, which has a one-year extension.
  • A clause in the release agreement worth approximately £57m to foreign teams has lapsed.
  • Sources close to the club told BBC Sport that no formal offer has been received for Fernandes.
  • In Michael Carrick’s plans at Manchester United, Fernandes will continue to be the key player.
  • The midfielder set a new Premier League record for the highest number of assists in a season last season with 21.
  • Thierry Henry and Kevin De Bruyne shared the previous high with 20 assists.
  • Fernandes was previously quoted as saying that he was “hurt” when United made him a player for Al-Hilal because they made him consider the offer.
  • Al-Hilal were said to be willing to hand over £100m for the transfer and £700,000 a £ 700,000-a-week salary.
  • In 327 appearances for Manchester United, Fernandes has netted 107 goals and dished out 108 assists.
  • The Portuguese playmaker is rumoured to prefer staying at Old Trafford, but no contract extension has yet been agreed.

Manchester (Britain Today News) August 17, 2026 — Manchester United will reject any late bids for captain Bruno Fernandes before the end of the transfer window, with the club making it clear that the Portugal international is not available for transfer.

United intend to reject any offer for Fernandes before next month’s deadline. The report states that senior figures at Old Trafford have sent a firm message to Galatasaray, who are believed to be considering an approach for the midfielder.

The Press Association, as reported by The42, also understands that Fernandes is “categorically not for sale”. The position represents a significant change from last summer, when United gave the player permission to consider a major offer from Saudi Pro League club Al-Hilal.

Although Fernandes has entered the final year of his current Manchester United contract, the club do not intend to allow his contract situation to weaken their resolve. His deal contains an option for an additional 12 months, while a release clause worth approximately £57 million for overseas clubs has now expired.

Could Galatasaray make a bid for Fernandes?

Galatasaray are the club most strongly linked with a potential move for Fernandes. BBC Sport reported that the Turkish champions had been considering whether to test Manchester United’s determination to keep their captain.

The same report said Galatasaray were understood to have been preparing an offer that could reach €50 million, equivalent to about £42.7 million. However, senior sources at Old Trafford reportedly believe that such an approach would not succeed.

As reported by BBC Sport, the message from United sources is that Galatasaray would be “wasting their time” by submitting a bid. The report also stated that no formal offer had been made for Fernandes at the time of publication.

The possibility of a late approach remains significant because the Portuguese midfielder is in the final year of his contract. However, the expiry of his overseas release clause has strengthened United’s control over the situation. The club can now reject an offer without being bound by a predetermined fee.

Are Juventus and AC Milan interested?

Galatasaray are not the only clubs reportedly monitoring Fernandes. BBC Sport stated that Juventus and AC Milan had also been considering whether to approach the Manchester United captain.

No formal proposal from either Italian club has been reported. The interest appears to be part of wider speculation surrounding Fernandes’ contractual position rather than evidence that United are prepared to negotiate his departure.

Manchester United’s reported stance is that Fernandes remains a key player under manager Michael Carrick. The club therefore appears unwilling to treat the midfielder’s contract status as an invitation for interested clubs to begin negotiations.

The situation could still generate further transfer reports before the window closes, particularly because Fernandes is one of Europe’s most prominent attacking midfielders. Nevertheless, the available reporting indicates that United’s immediate policy is resistance rather than negotiation.

Why has the release clause become important?

Fernandes’ contract reportedly contained a release clause of around £57 million for overseas clubs. BBC Sport and The42 both reported that the clause has now expired.

While the clause was active, an overseas club could potentially have triggered it by meeting the required figure. Its expiry means that any interested club must now negotiate directly with Manchester United, assuming the club is willing to entertain discussions.

The change gives United greater authority over Fernandes’ future. The club can reject bids below its valuation, refuse talks altogether and insist that the player remains part of Carrick’s squad.

The expiration of the clause is especially relevant because Fernandes has only one year remaining on his existing agreement, with an option for another season. Normally, that type of contract situation could increase pressure on a club to sell or reach a new agreement. In Fernandes’ case, however, United have reportedly decided that retaining him is more important than accepting a transfer fee.

What is Fernandes’ current contract situation?

Fernandes has one year left on his Manchester United contract, although the agreement includes an option for a further 12 months. BBC Sport reported that there has been no agreement over a contract extension so far.

The absence of a new deal creates an unresolved issue for United. Fernandes remains under contract, but negotiations over a longer-term arrangement will be important if the club wants to avoid uncertainty in the coming seasons.

The midfielder is understood to prefer staying at Old Trafford. That preference has been a central factor in the speculation surrounding his future, particularly after his experience with the club last summer.

United’s decision to block bids suggests the hierarchy are prepared to keep Fernandes even without an immediate extension. It also indicates that the club value his contribution to the team more highly than the financial benefit of selling him during the current window.

Why did Fernandes feel “hurt” by United’s position?

Fernandes previously revealed that he felt “hurt” after Manchester United told him last summer that he was free to accept a major offer from Al-Hilal.

The Saudi Arabian club were reportedly willing to pay a transfer fee of £100 million and offer Fernandes wages of £700,000 per week. The proposal would have represented one of the most financially significant moves of the player’s career.

United’s decision at the time placed the choice in Fernandes’ hands. Rather than insisting that he remain at Old Trafford, the club allowed him to consider whether to accept the offer and move to the Saudi Pro League.

Fernandes ultimately chose to stay. He said his desire to remain in Manchester was driven by the feeling that he had unfinished business with United.

That earlier episode is important to the current transfer situation. United are now reportedly taking a more direct position by making clear that Fernandes is not available, regardless of whether another club submits a substantial offer.

How important is Fernandes to Michael Carrick’s team?

Fernandes remains a key part of Michael Carrick’s Manchester United side. His role extends beyond his responsibility as captain, as he is also the team’s principal creative midfielder and one of its most influential attacking players.

The Portugal international has regularly been involved in United’s build-up play, chance creation and final-third decision-making. His leadership has also made him a central figure during a period in which the club are seeking greater consistency and a stronger challenge domestically and in Europe.

The42 reported that Fernandes remains an important part of Carrick’s plans. That position explains why United are prepared to reject late bids despite the player’s contract situation.

Selling Fernandes would create an immediate footballing problem. United would not only lose their captain but would also have to replace a player who has consistently delivered goals, assists and creative output since arriving from Sporting Lisbon.

What record did Fernandes break last season?

Fernandes broke the Premier League record for assists in a single season after creating 21 goals last campaign. The achievement moved him beyond the previous record of 20 assists, which had been jointly held by Arsenal legend Thierry Henry and former Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne.

BBC Sport reported that Fernandes recorded 21 Premier League assists and is among the leading candidates for the PFA Player of the Year award for 2025-26.

The record underlines his influence in the final third. It also strengthens United’s argument that retaining him is essential, particularly when the team’s creative production is closely associated with his performances.

Fernandes’ achievement came after a season in which he continued to combine playmaking responsibilities with leadership duties. His ability to produce chances from midfield has made him difficult for United to replace through a single signing.

What are Fernandes’ Manchester United statistics?

Since joining Manchester United from Sporting Lisbon in January 2020, Fernandes has made 327 appearances for the club. The42 reported that he has scored 107 goals and provided 108 assists during that period.

His record also includes major domestic honours. Fernandes has won the FA Cup and the Carabao Cup with United.

The figures show why the club regard him as more than a conventional transfer asset. His contribution has been sustained across several seasons, while his goals and assists have made him one of the most productive midfielders in the Premier League.

His 21 assists last season added another landmark to an already significant United career. The record also came at a time when the club were attempting to build a team around experienced leaders capable of influencing matches consistently.
Explore More about Sports:
Vicky Foxcroft Named Britain’s New Gambling Minister
Amy Hunt Hails Athletics Comeback After Stunning Birmingham Heroics

How did supporters react to Fernandes in Dublin?

Fernandes received an enthusiastic reception from Manchester United supporters in Dublin during a pre-season match against Leeds last week. BBC Sport reported that the response would have made it clear to the club that fans could react negatively if United did not demonstrate that they were doing everything possible to keep their captain.

The reaction illustrates the midfielder’s standing among supporters. Although United have experienced periods of inconsistency, Fernandes remains closely associated with the club’s attacking identity and leadership structure.

His popularity also creates additional pressure on the Manchester United hierarchy. Any decision to sell him would likely be judged not only on its financial value but also on its effect on the squad and supporters.

The Dublin reception therefore forms part of the wider context behind United’s firm stance. The club are aware that allowing Fernandes to leave without a clear effort to retain him could lead to criticism from fans.

Will Bruno Fernandes stay at Manchester United?

The current reporting indicates that Manchester United intend to keep Fernandes, but his long-term future is not completely settled because no contract extension has been agreed.

The club’s immediate position is clear: any late bid will be rejected, and Fernandes is not for sale. His preference is also believed to be remaining at Old Trafford, while Carrick continues to regard him as central to his plans.

However, the expiry of his release clause and the lack of a new contract mean that negotiations remain an important issue. If no extension is reached, questions over Fernandes’ future could return later.

For now, United appear ready to prioritise sporting stability over a potential transfer fee. The club’s decision to block approaches from Galatasaray, Juventus, AC Milan or any other interested side would preserve the team’s creative leader and captain for the upcoming campaign.

What happens before the transfer deadline?

Manchester United will face continued interest in Fernandes as the transfer deadline approaches. Galatasaray are reportedly considering a bid, while Juventus and AC Milan have also been linked with the 31-year-old.

Despite that interest, BBC Sport reported that United have no intention of selling their captain. The Press Association’s position, cited by The42, is similarly unequivocal: Fernandes is not for sale.

The next major development is likely to concern contract negotiations rather than a transfer. United will need to determine whether to extend Fernandes’ deal and secure his long-term commitment, while the player will continue to weigh his ambitions at Old Trafford against offers from elsewhere.

Until then, the Portuguese midfielder remains a Manchester United player and a central figure in Carrick’s plans. The club’s message to potential suitors is that a late bid will not change that position.