England

Warning to pet owners after puppy dies from eating heroin dumped in woods

author image

A puppy died in his owners arms just seconds after swallowing heroin dumped in woodland.

Nine-month-old cocker spaniel Wilfred died after eating black tar heroin, an impure opiate, while out for a walk.

Owner Nick Dinsdale said he is totally devastated and police have issued a warning to the public about keeping an eye on pets and children.

Cocker spaniel puppy Wilfred was poisoned by heroin on a woodland walk with his owner Nick Dinsdale - A puppy died in his owner's arms just seconds after swallowing heroin dumped in woodland. Nine-month-old cocker spaniel Wilfred died after swallowing black tar heroin, an impure opiate, in Habrough Woods on Thursday. The dog's owner Nick Dinsdale said he is "totally devastated" after watching the young puppy keel over and die in his arms. The shocking incident, uncovered following a post mortem, has sparked a danger warning to the public and an investigation by Humberside Police. "We went down to the woods for a walk," said Nick, from??North Killingholme. "Half way round he was just bouncing about, having fun. "We get to the middle of the woods. He came back towards me and I carried on walking. "I look about 30 feet back and he is sat down. I thought that was unusual. I could see something was seriously wrong.

Cocker spaniel puppy Wilfred was poisoned by heroin on a woodland walk with his owner (Picture: BPM)

Nick said: We went down to the woods for a walk.

Halfway round he was just bouncing about, having fun.

We get to the middle of the woods. He came back towards me and I carried on walking.

I look about 30 feet back and he is sat down. I thought that was unusual. I could see something was seriously wrong.

Cocker spaniel puppy Wilfred was poisoned by heroin on a woodland walk with his owner Nick Dinsdale - A puppy died in his owner's arms just seconds after swallowing heroin dumped in woodland. Nine-month-old cocker spaniel Wilfred died after swallowing black tar heroin, an impure opiate, in Habrough Woods on Thursday. The dog's owner Nick Dinsdale said he is "totally devastated" after watching the young puppy keel over and die in his arms. The shocking incident, uncovered following a post mortem, has sparked a danger warning to the public and an investigation by Humberside Police. "We went down to the woods for a walk," said Nick, from??North Killingholme. "Half way round he was just bouncing about, having fun. "We get to the middle of the woods. He came back towards me and I carried on walking. "I look about 30 feet back and he is sat down. I thought that was unusual. I could see something was seriously wrong.

The little pup keeled over and died less than a minute after eating the heroin (Picture: BPM)

Within 20 or 30 seconds he just keeled over. I thought has he got something stuck in his mouth. There was brown on his tongue.

Advertisement

Advertisement

He just died on me. He died in my arms. He died within a minute of me turning back after it happened.

Nick, 50, and wife Gina, of North Killingholme, Lincolnshire, bought Wilfred for £750 when he was eight weeks old.

Determined to find answers, the pair paid for a post mortem to uncover the cause of Wilfreds sudden death on Thursday.

Cocker spaniel puppy Wilfred was poisoned by heroin on a woodland walk with his owner Nick Dinsdale - A puppy died in his owner's arms just seconds after swallowing heroin dumped in woodland. Nine-month-old cocker spaniel Wilfred died after swallowing black tar heroin, an impure opiate, in Habrough Woods on Thursday. The dog's owner Nick Dinsdale said he is "totally devastated" after watching the young puppy keel over and die in his arms. The shocking incident, uncovered following a post mortem, has sparked a danger warning to the public and an investigation by Humberside Police. "We went down to the woods for a walk," said Nick, from??North Killingholme. "Half way round he was just bouncing about, having fun. "We get to the middle of the woods. He came back towards me and I carried on walking. "I look about 30 feet back and he is sat down. I thought that was unusual. I could see something was seriously wrong.

Warnings have gone out to pet owners and parents of young children after Wilfreds death (Picture: BPM)

Tests revealed he had ingested black tar heroin, a form of heroin that is sticky like tar or hard like coal during his walk in Habrough Woods.

Veterinary surgeon Jacqueline Buck, from Grimsby-based Abbey Vet Centre, said: We feel that local people need to be made aware of this incident in the public interest because neither dogs nor children should be roaming the area free because of the danger to their life and health if they were to come into contact with similar illegal substances.

Humberside Police said they are investigating and added: We would advise dog owners to be vigilant about what your dog is picking up when out on walks.

If you have any information that may assist our enquiries please get in touch by calling our non-emergency number 101 quoting log number 352 of 06/12/18 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Related Posts